This sixteen (16) hour USCG Approved course will satisfy all the examinations for upgrade of a merchant mariner credential from OUPV Inland Waters to a credential of OUPV upon Near Coastal Waters
This course provides instruction and assessment in the subjects of Navigation General; and Deck General, Safety, and Environmental Protection as necessary to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge and skills required for the safe operation of small uninspected passenger vessels on near coastal ocean waters.
Upon successful completion of this OUPV Inland to Near Coastal Upgrade course, and completion of the sea service experience requirements, the applicant will be able to take responsibility for the safety of a small uninspected passenger vessel and its passengers, be aware of their obligations under Coast Guard regulations concerning safety and protection of the environment and be able to take practical measures to meet those obligations while operating on near coastal waters.
This course is open to all mariners who hold a valid OUPV endorsement or have completed an approved OUPV course within the past year.
OUPV Near Coastal
– This license is valid on vessels up to 100 gross tons and out to 100 nautical miles
– The OUPV Near Coastal License also requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line. Ninety of the 360 days must be in the last three years. Experience gained prior to age 16 will not be counted.
– Sea Service experience can be counted on your own vessel. A Sea Service Form and proof of ownership are required. Experience on other people’s vessels can also be counted. In this instance, to verify experience claimed and vessel details, a completed Sea Service Form with the owner’s signature must accompany the application.
Additional Requirements Include:
– Age 18 years old or over for an Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV)
– Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)
– Citizenship or Form I-551, Alien Registration Card
– Physical, Hearing and eye exam-
– Drug test
– CPR/First Aid
No Test at the USCG Regional Exam Center.
Upon successful completion of the Northwest Maritime Academy’s OUPV upgrade course, you will take a proctored exam in the classroom. Once you pass our multiple-choice exam, you will receive a Northwest Maritime Academy Certificate recognized by the United States Coast Guard. Simply submit, within one year, the original certificate along with your application package and applicable fees to the USCG Regional exam Center. Upon their approval of your package, the United States Coast Guard will send out the upgraded license.
Additional Materials needed for this course:
– Parallel Ruler
– TSD Wheel