The scope of this class is to provide instruction and assessment in the subjects of navigation general, deck general, safety, and environmental protection as appropriate for the following MMC National Officer Endorsement upgrades:
– OUPV, Mate or Master not more than 200 GRT from Inland and Great Lakes, or Inland Only to a Near Coastal route. Mariners with a COLREGS limitation on their credential must also complete an approved Rules of the Road course, AND;
OUPV to Mate or Master not more than 200 GRT, OR;
– Mate or Master not more than 100 GRT to Mate or Master not more than 200 GRT.
Upon successful completion of this upgrade class the mariner will have the knowledge of navigation, seamanship, and federal regulations necessary to accept the responsibility for the safety of vessels less than 200 GRT on near coastal routes, including its cargo and passengers; be aware of the obligations under federal regulations concerning safety and protection of the marine environment; and be able to take the practical measures necessary to meet those obligations.
This course is open to all mariners holding a valid MMC National Officer Endorsement as OUPV, or Master or Mate not more than 200 GRT.
Class size will be limited to a maximum of fifteen (15) students
Class Completion Requirements
Successful completion of this class requires the student to:
– Attend every day of the class.
– Complete a 50-question Navigation General exam with a minimum passing score of 70% correct (minimum of 35 out of 50 correct answers).
– Complete a 50-question Deck General exam with a minimum passing score of 70% correct (minimum of 35 out of 50 correct answers)
Class Completion Certificate
Upon successful completion of the class requirements each student will be issued a course completion certificate containing the school name and location where the class was conducted, student’s name, the class name and NMC code, the course approval granted by the NMC, and the date the course was completed. The certificate must be presented to an REC within one year of the course completion date to satisfy the exam requirements for the MMC endorsement.
Any approved instructor for this course is authorized to sign the course completion certificate for this course.